Romance and Relationships, Part 1

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I think every girl dreams of getting married someday....I do. 

I'll be honest - I want to fall in love.   I want a strong, handsome guy who is romantic and everything masculine to come and totally sweep me off my feet. 

This desire isn't exactly a new one.....I think just about every girl dreams of something like that.  I believe this is a God-given desire that is meant to be fulfilled, in most cases. Of course, God's plan is going to be different for each individual, but it is the norm for most people to marry.  God created us to have feelings like that.  He is the Author of romance - He knows our desires!

Just one problem here - I'm not married.  (I'm only 18 - a little young yet, I know!)  Generally speaking though, most girls my age already have a special guy that they hang out with.  Most of them aren't married yet, but they're already knee-deep into romance and relationships.  I'm not.  Believe it or not, this is a deliberate choice I've made. 

But....why?

I'm trusting that if God wants me married, He already has the perfect guy picked out for me and is preparing him even now.  In fact, if God's plan for me includes marriage, I am relieved!  Because that means that my future husband...exists.  He's out there somewhere.  I don't have to worry about "finding a guy" because my guy has already been located.  And God has already planned out when we'll meet.   

Just knowing that my romantic future is in God's hands makes everything so much easier.  I don't have to worry about catching eyes, turning heads, flirting, etc.  That would be way rushing ahead of God's plan because that's presuming that it's up to me to find a husband. 

Guess what - it's not!  And diving into the pool of secular dating will only leave me with a broken heart and a lot of wasted time.  It's a system that has already proven to be a failure.  I don't need to try it because I already know where it ends up.  Wouldn't it be an awful travesty to be running around from guy to guy, basically asking "Are you the one?" when God already has your husband "picked out", so to speak?

Marriage is not a guessing game - I don't have to go "try out" a set of guys until I stumble upon one that suits my tastes.  Most everyone does this though, and most everyone ends up with at least one or two "break-ups" before finding Mr. Right.  I don't want to go through all that heartache.  And God didn't intend for us to, either. 

Believe it or not, God is not anti-romance and anti-relationships.   God is the Author of romance....and because of this, I know that He is far better equipped to play matchmaker than I am!  Because He can see ahead and knows the best guy for me.  If He has planned marriage in my future, that means He's known about this plan since I was born.  Which follows that He has also known my future husband since he was born, too. 

That's why I'm not too worried. 

So in the meantime, I wait.  I trust God to bring about His perfect plan for me in His perfect time.   Because I know how special marriage is, I'm willing to wait for it.  And let me be clear in saying that I'm waiting for a pure relationship.  I'm waiting for a guy.....who's been waiting for me.  I'm waiting for a guy who's never had any kind of romantic entanglements.  A guy who hasn't had four girls prior to meeting me.

Maybe you're thinking that's way too high of a standard; a little on the pie-in-the-sky optimistic side, right?  Guys are just guys - you can't actually expect them to wait, can you?

I can honestly say that these kind of young men DO exist.  There are guys out there that have chosen the same path of passionately seeking God and waiting for his one sweetheart.  And when these kinds of marriages occur, it's the most awe-inspiring, romantic thing ever.  Because it's pure.  Untarnished.  New.  Special

How romantic is that?!

That's not just romantic, that's an example of incredible faithfulness.  Faithfulness to your one and only spouse before you even get to the altar.  Before you even meet each other!

So how do you do that?  How do you actually stay faithful and honor your future husband before you've even met him?

*Stay tuned for Part 2!*

4 comments:

Carilyn said...

Thank you for writing this post! I also am 18, but I've also hoped to get married for a long time! It can be hard to wait, but I'd rather do that than the alternative - dating around with guys who God hasn't chosen! Sounds sad!

That's a nice thought - my man actually exists, and God has him in His sight at all times! He's been located, and God is planning out our meeting! =)

I struggle with 'trying out' guys in my mind. It is easier to keep pure physically, but harder to keep my emotions and thoughts in check. I hope to marry someone who understands that it's hard, and won't pass me over because I've had struggles like that. I don't feel like I've kept my emotions completely faithful to my future husband, but God is faithful, and I know He can help me. It does of course take work on my part too! It is also encouraging to read other young ladies' thoughts - like yours. Thanks for sharing!

-Carrie

Cassandra said...

Oh, Rachel! I agreed with everything that you said in this post 100%!

I agree: Waiting is special.

I'm looking forward to part two!

Love,
Cassie

P.S. I will reply to your email soon... I promise. *smiles*

lauren nicole said...

Thank you so, so much for this post! So encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter Rachel,

I am one proud Papa. Your heart for purity and modesty is rare and beautiful. Keep up the prayers for your future husband (and BTW, I've been praying for him too).

All my admiration,

Dear Ol' Dad

About This Blog

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not
on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will
make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP